Monday, August 24, 2009

Casablanca

Embarrassed to say I watched it for only the FIRST TIME last night. As good of a movie, in general, as everyone says it is. Terrible movie for women, though. There are about 4 female characters: a singer with no lines, Rick's kind of erratic girlfriend who he basically baby-sits, a Bulgarian woman who has to rely on either Rick or the corrupt French policeman for help, and the leading lady, Ilsa, whose emotions overwhelm her so much she asks Rick to "do the thinking for both of us." Which he does.

I guess we'll have to chalk this one up to old-fashioned attitudes and just enjoy the awesome combination of Morocco, cocktails, and escaping from Nazis.

1 comment:

  1. It should be noted that the cocktails are adorable. I might be able to deliver debonair lines too after a night of sorrowful drinking if I drank my champagne cocktails from a thimble ...

    ReplyDelete