Sunday, January 3, 2010

Anchorman

Ha ha ha ha ha HA HA HA HA. I just saw Anchorman in its entirety for the first time last night. I laughed HARD through the whole thing. Here are my few gender-related comments about it:

- I loved how it made fun of the everything 70s, including the sexism of that decade. I think comedy is a wonderful tool for social change because it points out ridiculousness in a fun, non-confrontational way.

- That being said, I was frustrated there were really only two speaking female roles and like A HUNDRED roles for male comedians. A truly subversive movie would have found a way to incorporate more females while highlighting the gender disparities in the newsroom.

- I'm always suspicious of films that allow themselves to use really offensive language (how many times did Ron call Veronica something along the lines of "whore?") by acknowledging that they're really offensive. So, the logic in Anchorman says that Ron's news crew can say terrible things about their female colleague because that's how sexist guys talked back in the 70s. Another example of this kind of logic was used in Superbad (substitute "Seth and Evan" for "Ron's news crew," "classmates" for "colleague," and "talk when they're teenagers" for "talked back in the 70s"). I'm not 100% against this practice because you CAN make a really good point with it, but I believe it should be used sparingly. Maybe a little more sparingly than it was used in this movie.

1 comment: