Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Inception

I. loved. this. movie.

But, gender wise, it was disappointing. There's one cool heroine (Ariadne, played by Ellen Page) and a great villainess (Mal, played by Marion Cotillard) but it absolutely does not pass the Bechdel test. I thought for a minute it would, barely. There are exactly two named female characters, and they have exactly one conversation. But it's about guys.

What I don't get is - there are like a zillion (okay - more like 5?) supporting characters in the core cast with all kinds of cool jobs. Could we make 1 a female? Or maybe even 2? Or maybe even half? I know we can't do more than half, because then everybody would call the film a chick flick regardless of the actual content or subject matter of the film. Because only women would go and see a movie that has women in it. Duh.

Oh, and one other thing. I really like Christopher Nolan films, but I feel like he keeps doing the same thing. A male protagonist pining after a dead wife wrestles with psychological issues, and then the movie ends ambiguously. I used to think Nolan was super creative, but now I'm starting to wonder if he had one good idea that he keeps repeating.

Okay, I'm sounding grouchy. I really did love this movie, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment